Monday, November 4, 2013

Nike Training Club Review

For various reasons, last week I did not have as much time to work out in the evenings so I decided to use the Nike Training Club app instead of my JEFIT routine. The workouts on the app are generally shorter, the longest is 45 min, and involve more compound exercises.

I haven't used the app in months and this week has really helped me remember why I love it so much. So I figured now is as good a time as any write my general review of this app. 

The basics! What is it?

The description on Google play is that is a "personal trainer that you can take anywhere" and it doesn't lie. The app works well on both my phone and tablet and I have taken and used it on holidays. 

The workouts broken down into Get Lean (or more cardio focused), Get Toned (lighter weights) and Get Strong (heavier weights). Each category is then broken down into beginner, intermediate and advanced sections and then has 6 workouts to choose from that are either 30 minutes or 45 minutes. In addition to this there is a section of 15 minute Get Focused  workouts that let you choose the part of the body you wish to focus on. 

You are also able to unlock content as you workout. The more workouts you do, the more content you get. Some of the rewards you get are recipes and some are additional workouts. 

The good, the bad and the ugly!?!?!

I mentioned before that I really like this app. I used it for about 6 months and it was instrumental in getting me to where I am at today. That isn't to say it doesn't have its problems or that there are things I wish I could change. 

The Good: 

1) It is entirely FREE. Some other workout apps give you a certain amount of workouts free and then you have to buy the rest. Absolutely everything about this app is free (you just have to put up with post-workout ads for Nike gear, but they are easy to clear)

2) The number of workouts available. You will not have to repeat a workout unless you really want to, and you can pick and choose your workout based on how you feel.

3) The more you workout, the more content you unlock. The rewards/ achievement system keeps you motivated and the bonus workouts you are usually completely different than the standard workouts.

4) It is completely portable. At most the workouts require dumbbells, however they can all be done without them as well which makes this app a great tool to take on the road.

5) Each exercise has a video that shows you how to do it correctly. You can even watch the videos mid-workout. This is very handy when you are first starting out.

The Bad:

1) The cardio component, Get Lean, is lacking.  When using the app I like to alternate between cardio workouts and strength workouts; however, Get Lean uses many of the same exercises as the other two sections but without weights. This is is not enough to get my heart rate going and, consequently, I rarely use this section.

2) Some exercises occur too frequently (in too many workouts), while others don't show up enough. For example, there is some version of Plank-row or Plank-rotation in each workout, while triceps exercises are only in a couple.

3) The portability also limits the app. There is only so much you can progress with dumbbells before you have to move on to other equipment. Once you hit this point the app will loose its usefulness. That being said getting to that point could take a very long time.

The Ugly

1) You have to sign up on the Nike+ site to be able to use the app. This itself is not a a problem because the site doesn't send much, if any, spam. The problem is that the site is not linked to the app at all so it doesn't track your progress online, only locally on your device. Again this isn't that big a deal, until you have to uninstall the app for some reason, or reboot your device. If you have to do that, you will loose all the progress, rewards, and achievements that you have worked for.

Ultimately this is why I stopped using the app. I had to re-install the app because it started to mess up the workouts. I lost 6 months of progress and just didn't have the heart to start over. 



No comments:

Post a Comment